Sunday, August 19, 2012

David Bowie- Oddity To Station




David Robert Jones, or David Bowie, as most people have come to recognize him, is an English born singer, songwriter, actor, producer and arranger who have seen his share of influences in the electronic era. In 1969, Bowie’s song Space Oddity was his first song to become recognized by reaching the top 5 in the UK Singles Charts. By 1972, after a 3-year experimental phase, Bowie had re-emerged into the music scene as his alter ego, Ziggy Stardust. Biographer David Buckley wrote that Bowie’s impact "challenged the core belief of the rock music of its day" and "created perhaps the biggest cult in popular culture." (Buckley,D 2005)


The years between 1969 and 1973 shared many changes in the music that Bowie was introducing to the world. Early influences range from Elvis Presley style rock, to psychedelic funk. His ability to write on so many levels gave him the edge over his career. Not accepted by everyone, his image in 1972 was his alter ego, Ziggy Stardust. Although odd, David Bowie introduced glamour to rock by wearing such bizarre outfits and wearing makeup. This look, although bizarre at the time, created trends for years to come. The music and stage presence launched what many call the “Glam-rock” image.
After his career as Ziggy Stardust faded into the wind, he continued many new experimental processes of creativity in the studio and on stage.


In 1974, he begun producing large live productions on stage for film and followed up with one of his most significant works, Station To Station in 1976. During the time prior to Station To Station’s release, Bowie had been experimenting with many new forms of music, and drugs. His ideals were deeply impacted by the drug use, and he can barely recall the production process. His influence in German electronic music, or Krautrock, was a transition from his early funk and soul music to a new visionary path. His Berlin Trilogy, recorded with Brian Eno in West Berlin during the 70’s, was greatly impacted by the works of Kraftwerk.

I have always had the works of David Bowie playing in my house when I was growing up. My two oldest brothers introduced me to so many artists when I was young. I never looked at images or album art to determine what I liked, I listened to the music and loved it. David Bowie, as a performer, artist and songwriter, always caught my attention. Even his earliest material was captivating. I remember in the early 80’s hearing his new music on the radio. Let’s Dance was one of my favorite tracks in 83’ that I remember well. The pop-song sound was so common then and this song wasn’t any different. I also remember that with all the new releases, even after 1983, the old songs from the 70’s were still as popular. They would always play Fame, Changes, Suffragette City and Rebel, Rebel on the radio. Those songs were familiar because of the rock style music, infused with funk and the electronic element. They remained immortal.

As an industry professional, I would have been at a stalemate when it came to dealing with the multiple changes and ideals that Bowie introduced to his music, his performances, a well as his experimentation with drugs. I don’t know if I could have been patient with the process, trying to deal with the controversy that surrounded David Bowie during those years, but as a professional I would have to think about the music first. So many types of music and ideas directly influenced his creations and yet he was able to find a path and follow it. His most impressive art was Station To Station, in my opinion, simply because his ability to capture and develop his ideas was driven by a series of events that took place in his career. The songwriting and production of Station To Station was important to me because the influences and assistance that Bowie received for the album came from so many individuals in the industry that were part of the pioneer path when it came to electronic music.
To be able to create such powerful music with so much emotion is primarily my goal in the industry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment